SCALED-UP VERSION of Earth Discovered
Hlo drifters.. In this article I would like to share with you the discovery of a “scaled-up version of Earth”…
which may be able to host alien life, according to a study.
What’s the Discovery?
The Exoplanet known as K2-18b has describe as being potential “Super Earth”, a large rocky planet with the potential to support life.
Researchers at the University of Toronto in Canada made the discovery by scouring data collected by the European Southern Observatory (ESO)
They also discovered a new planet on the same solar system.
Both planets orbit K2-18, a red dwarf planet located about 111 light years away in the constellation Leo
Some Amazing Facts about this Version of Earth
- When the planet K2-18b was first discovered in 2015, it was found to be orbiting within the star’s habitable zone.
- Due to above reason it make it ideal candidate to have liquid surface water.
- Which is a key element in harbouring conditions for life as we know it.
- In order to find out whether k2-18b is a scaled up version of Earth which mostly consists of rock researchers have to first figure out the planet’s mass, using radial velocity measurements taken with HARPS i.e., High Accuracy Radial Velocity Planet Searcher.
- Afterwards researchers were able to determine the planet is either a mostly rocky planet
- Also it has a small gaseous atmosphere like Earth, or a mostly water planet with a thick layer of ice on it.
“WIth the current data, we cannot distinguish between these two above mentioned possibilities,” Cloutier, one among those researchers said.
“But with the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) we can probe whether it has an extensive atmosphere or it is cover with water.”
Its newly found neighbour, named K2-18c, is probably too hot to be in the habitable zone.
Like K2 -18b it also appears to be a super-Earth.
The researchers say K2-18b will we a prime target for NASA’s James Webb space telescope.
And it will search for planets with habitable atmospheres, when it launches in 2019